The land of heroes
Our heroes
Our land
Cambodia Kingdom


Sunday, October 05, 2008

Boat Journey to Battambang

Yet another early morning, the 5th in a row. Tonight I must sleep in!

by the way, I've really loved reading your comments. I'm not responding on this site, as it takes long enough as is, but have responded to those that asked questions by email. Keep 'em coming! If there is anything you are missing in my commentaries, please let me know (am trying to talk more about food now)

Maybe I left Angkor too early, but it is done. I took a traditional, wooden longboat on Lake Ton Sap and the Sangker River to Battambang. It was a traditional longboat, but had a motor and no toilet for the 7 hour journey! Luckily we stopped at a lunch shack on the way.

There were two levels to this boat, full sun on the top deck or shade at the water level for wimps like me. So my pictures aren't great, but this journey was similar to a boat trip I did on Inle Lake in Myanmar with houses on stilts, people in boats, and green floaty plants, so I was laid back today with the camera, which is good since it takes ages to load pictures here!

Best part is when the locals needed to board. Relatives or friends would paddle or motor them up to our boat and transfer boxes, bags, and babies as well as the other passagers to and fro. One of the other westerners commented on the children and how well behaved they were for a 7 hour boat journey.

If I ever get my pics up, there are some of a village. An old lady behind me told me to take pictures of it. Not sure which one it was. We had communicated earlier when I stopped her from sitting in some liquid.

So now I am in Battambang for the next days. Have a recommendation here for a motor driver from Albrecht's girlfriend (ex boss). He wasn't here when I arrived, but hope to talk to him tomorrow. Also want to do a cooking course at the restaurant I'm going to eat dinner in right now called the smoking pot (not sure if it has something to do with Pol Pot or not). I want to learn how to make that Amok Curry!

No comments: