The land of heroes
Our heroes
Our land
Cambodia Kingdom


Thursday, August 04, 2011

Pinay in Cambodia loses leg in bus mishap

MANILA, Philippines – A Filipina tourist in Cambodia lost her leg in a road accident that left 2 dead and several others injured.

Nina Abad, who was in Siem Reap, Cambodia for a vacation, was asleep early Sunday when the tourist bus carrying her hit a parked truck along Prey Veng.

Abad said the crash sounded like a loud explosion. She suspects that the driver of the bus fell asleep behind the wheel.

"Naka-tangle kami sa isa’t isa when they pulled me out of the wreckage. I looked down at my right leg, pumasok sa utak ko na I’m going to lose my leg," said Abad.

The bus driver surrendered to authorities after he went missing for a couple of days.

Abad, a call center manager, is her family’s breadwinner.

“Matulungin siya. Hindi na naming kailangan humingi ng tulong sa kanya, siya mismo ang nag-kukusa,” said Weng Bustillos, Abad’s aunt.

Despite her ordeal, Abad has shown courage and positivity.

“I have yet to see the Great Wall of China. I have yet to see the Eiffel Tower. I have yet to see Stonehenge and even with 1 foot or even with no feet, I will go there,” she said.

Meanwhile, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is coordinating with Cambodian authorities to address financial expenses for Abad’s hospitalization.

In a statement, the DFA said it "is now facilitating the issuance of a passport for her brother, Edward Jeffrie Abad, who is expected to arrive [Friday]. Our embassy is coordinating with Cambodian authorities on compensation and payment of medical fees and hospital bills to get the tour company (Kampuchea Angkor Express) to address these issues." -- Report from Atom Araullo, ABS-CBN News.

No comments: