The land of heroes
Our heroes
Our land
Cambodia Kingdom


Friday, August 27, 2010

Diversity spotlight: Thida Kol’s had a real impact on the Cambodian community


By Steph McKenna
JOurnal staff writer


Twenty-two years ago when Thida Kol, 56, began working as a secretary at the Socio Economic Development Center for Southeast Asians in Providence, she had no idea that she would have an enormous impact on the Cambodian community.

But she became the go-to person, the community’s rock who can be counted on in a moment’s notice, in all situations.

“She has a huge heart,” says Anthony Layton, associate director of SEDC. “She is an inspiration to all of us.”

As a Cambodian caseworker, Thida helps elderly clients find housing. In cases where an elderly person is alone, she tries to find another person in similar circumstances so they can share an apartment.

“I find them a place and then find household goods they need,” she says.

“I try to do the best I can to help people in the community who need services.”

Immigrants and refugees need to apply for green cards and talk to immigration lawyers. Thida accompanies them, serves as translator and helps fill out forms.

She takes clients to medical appointments and is the link between doctor and patient.

“SEDC is the only place they trust,” she says, “especially clients who are here alone.”

Thirty years ago, Thida, her husband and three small stepchildren fled Cambodia and the terror of the Khmer Rouge regime.

“They killed my father. My mom died of starvation.”

The family lived for several months in Khao I Dang, a refugee camp along the Cambodian-Thai border, before leaving for Rhode Island where they settled with help from the International Institute of Rhode Island.

Thida enrolled in a program at the Community College of Rhode Island and eventually worked as a licensed practical nurse at St. Joseph Hospital. But when she heard from a friend that SEDC was looking for a Cambodian worker, she applied for the job.

One of the few Cambodian community members who had been educated in Khmer, Thida is often asked to do written translations. “I’m the oldest in this office and they ask me first,” she says. “I went to school and know the Khmer language. Some others who are younger did not have the chance to learn because the Khmer Rouge closed the schools.”

“People who came 20 years ago and still don’t speak English rely on SEDC.” She says some don’t even trust their own children to translate official letters, fearing that they will make a mistake that could result in problems.”

There are Meals on Wheels lunches three times a week at SEDC. Thida says that before the meal clients stop by her office with letters to translate, or to ask her to make phone calls.

“Most of my clients know my cell phone number. They can call me anytime.”

And they do call. It could be an emergency situation or just a lonely person who needs to talk.

“If I’m helping people, I feel good. They treat me like I’m their family. They are like my family.”

No comments: