The land of heroes
Our heroes
Our land
Cambodia Kingdom


Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Unique Cambodian Mototaxi Driver

Cambodia is well known for its taxis and Tuks Tuks, but it’s a small motodop that Um Chanthon drives. She’s one of the few females in the world of mototaxis, an industry traditionally dominated by male drivers.

Um became a motodop driver nine years ago, after her marriage ended in divorce.

She started working to support her family, including her mother, her two sons and a nephew.

[Um Chanthon, Motodop Driver]:
"Each morning I get up early to clean my motorbike and prepare the gears for my daily work.”

And it doesn’t faze Chanthon in the least that she’s one of the only women doing it. Her male colleagues even praise her for it.

[Chan Ti, Motodop Driver]:
"She is more courageous than us that she can do our work. I praise her heart that she can do this work to support her family after being separated from her husband."

Chanthon gets more female customers than her male counterparts, as they trust her driving skills and want to help her.

[Von Sreyneang, Customer]:
"She is stronger than me because she can take more than one person, while I cannot even drive just myself properly.”

She gets about six customers a day, which allows her to earn an average of ten U.S. dollars per day.

No comments: